Are Private Wells Safe?
Private wells are not covered by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) or TCEQ. This means there is no guarantee that the water that you get from the private wells is safe. Household well owners in Texas are responsible for ensuring that their well water is safe to drink. People who drink polluted water can become sick and, in some cases, die. Health problems caused by contaminated well water include illnesses from bacteria such as E. coli, “blue baby syndrome,” and arsenic poisoning.
Warning: 86% of our water is testing positive for Cryptosporidium. Naegleria Fowler (Brain Eating Amoebas) and Giardia are in our water. It is essential that all wells have a UV light, because these can slip by Chlorination!
Unsafe drinking water from wells is often caused by high concentrations of minerals—such as fluoride and uranium—that occur naturally across Texas. Well water can also be polluted by seepage from failed septic tanks, farm/animal runoff and by synthetic compounds such as fertilizers, gasoline, herbicides and pesticides.
Central Texas wells are unusually high in both calcium and magnesium, making the water EXTREMELY hard. They can also have low pH Levels (acidic/corrosive properties), iron, manganese, hydrogen sulfide and other complications from tannin, lignin and microbes.
Well Water is considered problem water – Self diagnosis of your water is dangerous. This is why we offer free testing!